Special Wastes

By definition and intent, all material that is disposed of at the district landfills are a solid waste. However, some materials can be separated and handled differently or by permit, disposal is limited.  For instance, the Moab Landfill as a Class IVb can only accept clean construction and demolition debris, clean yard waste or clean uncontaminated soils (such as from construction jobs). The Klondike Landfill is a Class I facility and can take municipal solid waste, non-hazardous contaminated soils, waste food grease, and treated denatured dewatered biosolids from waste water treatment facilities.  The following information is provided as a guide only, for specific information, please call the district office at 435-259-3867.  Such material as this would include construction/demolition debris, non friable asbestos, electronic (e.g. computers, cell phones, etc), compostables, appliances, dead animals, tires, and petroleum contaminated soils.  For unusable items or for special waste consideration, individuals should contact the landfill office for more information or they may download “Special Wastes Request for Disposal/Characterization” two page form to verify the material can be accepted by the landfill.


All large appliances are taken at the Monument Waste Transfer Station located at 2295 South Highway 191, Moab where they are placed in the metal and appliance area.


Dead animals can only be disposed of at the Klondike Landfill and brought in by franchise haulers.  ​​

Asbestos – Friable

These are the dusty, small pieces of asbestos containing material which will easily release fibers when crushed by hand.  This type of material requires a special permit from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Air Quality Division to remove and dispose.   We cannot accept friable asbestos because it contains potential air contamination from the small particles released to the air and lodging in lungs.  Non-friable asbestos can become friable over time or when subjected to high heat, such as during a fire.

Asbestos – Non-Friable

Non friable asbestos materials have a binder that holds the asbestos fibers within a solid matrix and will not allow asbestos fibers to release easily unless mishandled, damaged, or are in a badly worn or weathered condition. To make sure that the material is non friable, a sample can be obtained by an inspector and sent to a laboratory for analysis and determination. Please contact a local asbestos inspector to have a sample taken. Usually old floor tiles, tile shakes, and pipe insulation is non friable, meaning it does not have small pieces that easily break down into dusty little particles which can lodge in lungs resulting in the incurable disease of Asbestosis which can lead to mesothelioma (cancer). Although non friable material can be taken to the Klondike landfill for disposal, individuals are required to first obtain approval by completing a Non Friable Asbestos Manifest and making arrangements for delivery date/time. In addition, individuals are required to follow the requirements of the Utah Air Quality Division in obtaining a demolition permit BEFORE doing any major deconstruction or remodeling to ensure they are in compliance. This material cannot be mixed with other trash and must be properly secured when received and requires at least one working day notice before being brought to the landfill.

Batteries – Lead Acid

Lead acid batteries (car batteries, tractor batteries, truck batteries, lawn mower batteries, etc.) cannot be disposed of at either landfill or the recycle center. Many stores have an exchange program where if you buy a new battery, they will accept an old one in for their handling. At times a credit is given for the return of old batteries, often times referred to as a “core charge”.

​Batteries – Rechargeable

Rechargeable batteries (cell phones, toys, cordless phones, cordless tools, etc) should not be disposed of in the landfills. The district has a contract with the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation (RBRC) to accept small rechargeable batteries (up to one pound). The batteries can be brought to the e-waste collection days and will be handled by the District’s vendor. If you have an APC power backup for your computers, the company will work with customers who wish to recycle their batteries in exchange for obtaining a new battery. Go to www.apc.com for more information on their recycling program.


This is the organic and vegetative (plant) material which can easily decompose making a soil-like product or soil amendment. Because composting can be done with a low input of resources, the district is conducting a pilot project approved by the Utah DEQ. The site is on top of the old Moab landfill. Grass clippings, leaves and garden waste may be placed in the compost pile directly. Tree limbs, branches and similar cuttings are placed in a branch pile which will be chipped and then placed into the compost pile. No bags (plastic or paper), no wire, no trellis (metal or wood), no landscape timbers, no household trash, or anything that is not vegetative is to be placed there (See Construction & Demolition Debris below).

Construction & Demolition Debris

This material is from construction or deconstruction projects such as wood or asphalt shingles, treated wood, wood paneling, insulation (non-asbestos), dirt, concrete, drywall, siding and similar material. This does NOT include appliances, household trash, furniture, asbestos containing material, tires, or similar items. When in doubt, call first.

Contaminated Soils

The Klondike landfill is permitted to receive, treat and utilize petroleum and other non hazardous contaminated soils on site. Any entity wishing to dispose of contaminated soils must first characterize the material through laboratory analysis and submit documentation along with completion of the Special Wastes Request for Disposal/Characterization Form to obtain approval to bring the material out for disposal through a franchise hauler. ​


The big news in the solid waste field is the disposal of old computers, monitors, copiers, electronic accessories and TVs or e-waste. Businesses, institutions, and industrial companies cannot dispose of their electronics in landfills. Some states, such as Colorado, have banned these items from all landfills and transfer stations even if coming from a household. In 2017, the district began having monthly collection times for e-waste. We have designated the second Saturday of every month, with the exception of November when the second Saturday is Veteran’s Day from 9 am to noon as open to accept e-waste. For those interested in artistic endeavors with a message to reduce e-waste, check out the video above. Electronic waste is electrical but not electrical items are Electronic. Appliances, hair dryers, microwaves, corded tools, and similar items that have an electrical plug are not electronic waste.

We Transformed a Lifetime of Electronic Waste into Art

Fluorescent Lights (including Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL)

Fluorescent lights should not be thrown away in the landfill. Special disposal buckets or boxes which are prepaid to send the materials to a hazardous materials vendor can be obtained from local resources or online. The district will have buckets and boxes available for ONLY residential customers to bring their UNBROKEN lights for collection and disposal. Customers are cautioned to not break the light bulbs as they do contain mercury. The costs are $1 per 4 foot lamp or $2 per 8 foot lamp to help offset the cost of hazardous waste disposal (charges are approximately $2.50 per 4 foot lamp and $4.00 per 8 foot lamp). Commercial, industrial and institutional (CII) customers who have fluorescent light bulbs should contact a local electrician or the district for sources of disposal containers.


Paints are considered a liquid waste and cannot be accepted at the landfills nor does the recycle center have the capability to handle this item. Old paint can be painted onto scrap wood, carpet, or cardboard. When dried, the painted material and empty paint cans/containers can be placed into the trash for normal disposal. Cans with old latex paint can be opened and the paint will dry to a gel like state (provided no water has gotten into the can). The gel in the cans can be thrown into the trash for disposal at the landfill as normal trash as they are not liquid wastes. Residents are offered another option with the annual spring household hazardous round up morning. Call the district office to find out the annual date for this event.


Tires (vehicle) cannot be disposed of at the transfer station or the landfills. Tires are collected and temporarily stored at the Moab Landfill for transport to Salt Lake City for recycling. For further information about waste tires contact Scrap Tire Management Council.

Used Oil

Used oil is considered a liquid waste and cannot be accepted at the landfills. One alternative is to take the used oil to a local oil change store or a store that sells motor oil for their recycling efforts. Another alternative for very small quantities of oil, is to put cat litter or sawdust on the spilled oil until it is absorbed. Then place the litter in the trash for disposal at the landfill. This option is intended for households only and only in small quantities (1 gallon or less).

Unusual or Unknown Materials

If you have a question, call the district office. We will try to get you an answer. The following form should be used when requesting information about special waste disposal.