Below indicates how to properly dispose of certain special wastes such as dead animals, friable and non-friable asbestos, petroleum-contaminated soils, and wag bags (human waste bags). For information other unique wastes such as used oil, universal and electronic waste collection, household hazardous waste collection, and other recycling and waste resources, please see our menu. For more specific information or further inquiry, please call the the Canyonlands Transfer Station Administrative Office at 435-259-6314 or the CRC Administrative Office at 435-259-3867.
Wag Bag Disposal – How to Properly Dispose of Human Waste in the Moab Area
In 2022, CSWA in collaboration with several local entities (Grand County Active Trails & Transportation, the City of Moab, Southeast Utah Health Department) created a pilot “Wag Bag Disposal” Program to address growing concerns of human waste in the local environment and in the waste stream. The Wag Bag Disposal Program is back for the 2023 season with more changes to be implement as the program develops. See below for current Wag Bag Disposal information:
Wag Bag Disposal Locations:
- Grand County Transit Hub (Intersection of Highways 191 and 128) – Available 24/7
- Lions Park (Intersection of Highways 191 and 128) – Available 24/7
- SE Utah Health Department (575 Kane Creek Blvd, Moab, UT 84532) 435.259.5602 – Available 24/7
- Wastewater Reclamation Facility (1070 W 400 N, Moab, UT 84532) 435.259.5577 – 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday – Friday
- Canyonlands Transfer Station (2295 Hwy 191, Moab, UT 84532) 435.259.6314
- 24/7 dumping for individuals (Go inside during operating hours. A bin will be outside after hours.)
- Commercial tour operators may only dump during operating hours. 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Monday – Friday), 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM (Saturday), Closed Sunday. Fees apply.
Do not dispose of W.A.G. Bags in regular trash cans. In order to reduce exposure to biohazards, it is a priority for CSWA to reduce the amount of human waste that is handled by their staff members and introduced to various types of equipment. W.A.G. Bags should be brought directly to any of the disposal bins listed above.
Where to Purchase W.A.G. Bags
W.A.G. Bags can be purchased at the following locations in Moab (hours vary during the season):
- Arches National Park Bookstore/Visitor Center – Arches National Park (Hwy 191) – 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Monday – Sunday)
- Canyonlands National Park Island in the Sky Visitor Center – Canyonlands National Park – 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Monday – Sunday)
- Moab Information Center – 25 E Center St, Moab, UT 84532 – 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Monday – Sunday)
- GearHeads Outdoor Store – 471 S Main St, Moab, UT 84532 – 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM (Monday – Sunday)
- Gear Traders – 300 S Main St, Moab, UT 84532 – 8:00 AM – 9:00 PM (Monday – Sunday)
- SolGear – 420 Kane Creek Blvd #1, Moab, UT 84532
- 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday – Friday)
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Saturday)
- Closed Sunday
- Wild West Voyages – 422 Kane Creek Blvd, Moab, UT 84532 – 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
For more comprehensive information on the W.A.G. Bag Disposal Program, how to properly use a W.A.G. Bag, and more, please visit Discover Moab’s Pooping in Moab page. For resources on proper human waste disposal beyond the Moab area, visit GottaGoUtah on what to do when “nature calls in the outdoors”.
Dead animals such as horses, cows, elks, camels, and other medium to large size animals can be brought to the Canyonlands Transfer Station (2295 Hwy 191) by special appointment. Smaller animals are not accepted. Contact the Canyonlands Transfer Station Administrative Office at 435-259-6314 to schedule your appointment.
Asbestos – Friable
These are the dusty, small pieces of asbestos containing material which will easily release fibers when crushed by hand. This type of material requires a special permit from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Air Quality Division to remove and dispose. We cannot accept friable asbestos because it contains potential air contamination from the small particles released to the air and lodging in lungs. Non-friable asbestos can become friable over time or when subjected to high heat, such as during a fire. The closest facility that accepts friable asbestos is the East Carbon Landfill (ECDC Landfill) located at 111 W Hwy 123, East Carbon, Utah 84520. Their number is (435) 888-4113.
Asbestos – Non-Friable
Non friable asbestos materials have a binder that holds the asbestos fibers within a solid matrix and will not allow asbestos fibers to release easily unless mishandled, damaged, or are in a badly worn or weathered condition. To make sure that the material is non friable, a sample can be obtained by an inspector and sent to a laboratory for analysis and determination. Please contact a local asbestos inspector to have a sample taken. Usually old floor tiles, tile shakes, and pipe insulation is non friable, meaning it does not have small pieces that easily break down into dusty little particles which can lodge in lungs resulting in the incurable disease of Asbestosis which can lead to mesothelioma (cancer). Although non friable material can be taken to the Klondike landfill for disposal, individuals are required to first obtain approval by completing a Non Friable Asbestos Manifest and making arrangements for delivery date/time. In addition, individuals are required to follow the requirements of the Utah Air Quality Division in obtaining a demolition permit BEFORE doing any major deconstruction or remodeling to ensure they are in compliance. This material cannot be mixed with other trash and must be properly secured when received and requires at least one working day notice before being brought to the landfill.
The Klondike Landfill is permitted to receive, treat and utilize petroleum and other non hazardous contaminated soils on site. Any entity wishing to dispose of contaminated soils must first characterize the material through laboratory analysis and submit documentation along with completion of the Special Wastes Request for Disposal/Characterization Form to obtain approval to bring the material out for disposal through a franchise hauler. Contact the Canyonlands Transfer Station Administrative Office at 435-259-6314.