Canyonlands Solid Waste Authority (CSWA) offers the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Program as a daily part of it’s operations. HHW represents a wide variety of wastes, which are produced as a result of normal household activities. Among the most common examples of HHW include, but are not limited, to the following:

  • Oil-based paints, pesticides, paint thinners, and other solvents
  • Automobile fluids such as brake cleaner, fuel additives, and old gasoline/diesel
  • Household cleaners, polishes, and waxes
  • Wood preservatives, photo and hobby chemicals
  • Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides.

RESIDENTS OF GRAND AND SAN JUAN (UTAH) COUNTY can bring their HHW to the Community Recycle Center (CRC) located at 1000 Sand Flats Road, Moab, Utah 84532 during regular hours of operations. No commercial or out-of-state HHW will be accepted. Residents must provide proof of residency (i.e., Driver’s License or recent utility bill) prior to HHW drop-off. CSWA reserves the right to refuse any materials. Pricing and basic information for the HHW Collection Program can be found below:


Q: What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

A: HHW is leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients. Examples of typical HHW products are paints and paint-related products (excluding water-based paint), house cleaners, some automotive products, and pesticide products.

Q: Why do I need to bring these items to the HHW Facility or why should I be concerned about HHW?

A: Improperly disposing of HHW into storm drains, sanitary sewers, on-lot sewage systems, or by dumping them onto the ground allows storm water runoff to pick them up and carry them into waterways. Once this waste enters our waterways, it causes water pollution that poses a threat to our health and can harm – or in some instances kill – animal and plant life.

Q: Where can I take my HHW?

A: Accepted HHW materials can be brought to the Community Recycle Center located at 1000 Sand Flats Road during regular hours of operation (Monday – Friday 8AM to 4PM | Saturday 8AM – 12PM). A minimum fee applies – see our website for a complete list of prices. The HHW Program is open to Grand and San Juan County residents only. Proof of residency (Driver’s License or recent Utility Bill) is required prior to disposal. No commercial or out-of-state/county HHW is accepted.

Q: What items do you accept in the HHW Collection Program?

A: Adhesives, aerosols cans, automotive liquids, flammable liquids (oil, gas, diesel, kerosene, white gas, etc.), corrosives/cleaners, pool chemicals, oil-based paints and paint-related products, pesticides/herbicides, roofing tar, rubber cement, solvents/thinners, household cleaners, Freon, wood preservatives, fire extinguishers, and propane cylinders.

Q: What items are not acceptable in the HHW Collection Program?

A: Ammunition/explosives, asbestos-containing materials, pharmaceuticals, hypodermic needles/syringes, medical or biological wastes, radioactive materials, smoke detectors, unknown or mixed chemicals, large quantities of HHW or items accepted under other programs such as universal and electronic waste collection items (lightbulbs, batteries, used motor oil, antifreeze, etc.). Commercial and out-of-state HHW are not acceptable.

Q: I operate a business. Why can’t I use the HHW Collection Program?

A: This program is for residents only. Businesses tend to produce a higher volume of hazardous materials in which the CRC does not have adequate storage for. However, commercial entities can utilize HHW disposal during our bi-annual HHW events which are typically held during April and November of each year. For commercial disposal pricing, entities may contact Veolia Environmental Services in Salt Lake City at (801) 294-7111, or call our Operations Director Chris Scovill at 435.260.6121 or our Program Manager Jessica Thacker at 435.259.3867

Q: What do I do with my batteries/lightbulbs/antifreeze/used oil/electronics/mercury-containing products?

A: These items are part of our Universal and Electronic Waste Collection Program and are accepted at the Community Recycle Center during regular hours of operations, excluding used oil. Used oil can be dropped off for free (residential DIYers only) at the Canyonlands Transfer Station (2295 Hwy 191) during regular hours of operation.

Q: Why don’t you accept latex or water-based paints?

A: Latex (water-based) paints are not considered hazardous or toxic. The only paints accepted in the HHW Collection Program is oil-based paint and paint-related products such as paint thinners, stains, shellac, and varnish. Latex paints can be disposed of by adding absorbent materials such as shredded newspaper, kitty litter, or sawdust until the latex paint is the consistency of cottage cheese. Latex paint can also be allowed to dry completely and disposed of in your household trash.

Q: What if my HHW materials aren’t in its original container, the label in unreadable, damaged/leaking, mixed with other chemicals, etc.? What do I do?

A: Items that are damaged/leaking, not in its original container, unknown, or mixed with other chemicals cannot be accepted as part of our HHW Collection Program. These items must be disposed of at a properly permitted facility such as the ECDC Environmental Landfill in East Carbon, Utah.